I recently attended a Professional Woman’s Leadership Lunch Series, and took away some value insights about leadership, let me share…
- Being a member of management does not make you a leader.
- Influencing outcomes and inspiring others-now there’s a leader.
- Demonstrate credible performance consistently.
- Understand priority standards of the organization you are part of.
- Do you follow through on simple commitments?
- Empower and support big thinkers, don’t dismiss their perspectives. Listen, don’t just hear.
- Allow brainstorming in the true sense – no idea is a bad idea.
- Employ a narrow “say/do” gap.
- How clearly and consistently do you express intent? Can we clearly talk about what success looks like?
- Don’t hide expectations, be clear, help people understand, be part of the solution not part of the problem.
- Can you gracefully and with dignity talk about what is not working?
- Leadership is an under-taught skill. We are not born a leader.
- What is your knee-jerk reaction when you discover a problem? Instinct is to place blame. Seek to take responsibility before placing blame.
- Essence of leadership – where is your heart?
- Best leaders work to serve and understand and are dedicated to service. Help others achieve progress.
This presentation was presented with humor and hard hitting truths – Courtney Lynch is a woman worth following – she is a thinker who redesigns the confines of her box and whose big bold ideas are worth taking to heart!